Thursday, January 14, 2010

I think it's time for rehab...

I have a BIG problem. It's so big, in fact, that it's going to take a wishing well full of pennies to get me over it. I'm in a hole, i'm stuck in a rut, and I can't dig myself out or rev my engine to escape it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm addicted to television. If you know me at all, you'll know that this is really nothing that new. I've always had a slight dependence on the 'ole boob tube. Nothing crazy, just a hit here or there to stop the shakes.

But now, NOW, I have hit an all time low. I have to wake up in the morning to catch Reba and miscellaneous music videos. I have to come home on my lunch break to catch MTV's True Life or Wife Swap. I rush out the door at 5:00 to make sure I can make it home in time to catch re-runs of Grey's Anatomy and House Hunters.

And to make matters worse, I have about 5,000 channels. I used to only have a couple, and it was much more conducive to my lifestyle. But, my lovely boyfriend thought it'd be a great idea to get a gazillion channels when we upgraded to a flat-screen. "But Babe, it's HD!" But, Babe! now has her ass glued to the couch for a good 6-8 hours a day.

When did this start, you ask? Well, ever since I graduated from college 6 months ago, I have been faced with a ridiculous amount of free time that I never had before. So, I soon learned to fill that time with what's most important in my life- the lifestyles of the rich and the famous. What used to be a small reliance has developed into a full-blown addiction that may require Dr. Drew's assistance and a brief stay at the Pasadena rehabilitation facility.

The first step is realizing you have a problem though, right? So, I'm recognizing it. I, Amanda, have a serious, NO-JOKE, size-large, monstrous, disgusting addiction to television (specializing in reality programs). I am now going to slowly wing myself off the drug. I know what you're thinking, but I can't go cold turkey. I'm not strong enough for that. I just need to cut back. So, for this week, one hour a day of television must be replaced with one hour of reading.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment