Friday, January 15, 2010

Gifts with no receipts...


It’s been a while, but I’ll give it a try…

Once, a boy gave me a piggy bank full of pennies. 365 pennies. A penny for each day we had spent together. A single cent for each memory we shared.
I spent those pennies like my dying wish, and crashed the piggy bank on a rocky road.

Once, a boy gave me his heart. It wasn’t very big, but it was a tight fit, and I liked how cozy it made me feel. Eventually, his heart grew and grew and there was room for more girls than just me.
I eventually got pushed out of his heart, and fell into a puddle on a rainy day.

Once, a boy gave me a thousand promises and a puzzle to put together a little at a time. The promises made butterflies appear in my stomach- just a couple at first, and then more and more, and more until eventually, a single monarch escaped my icy breath. It wasn’t long before the other butterflies followed suit, and took the promises with them.
It’s been five years and I still haven’t finished the puzzle; I hold onto the last piece just so it’s not over.

I wish I didn’t spend those pennies…

No comments:

Post a Comment