Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fame

In some capacity, I believe we've all desired to acheieve some sort of fame. Who hasn't dreamed of becomming a musician or an actor, an artist or a dancer, or even become famous by being the absolute complete opposite? I believe our culture and society breeds us this way- to constantly be in search of the next crazy invention like Velcro or a mindlessly brilliant story line like The Hangover. The real bitch of it? We can't achieve it by ourselves. No matter how fantastic we all are inside our own heads, we technically are worthless unless someone else realizes it.

So, we all go around trying to prove ourselves. I can draw better than anyone else! I can sculpture the hell out of this piece of clay! I am the best harmonica player this side of the Mason-Dixie! Do we practice to be great? Of course. Do we practice to be great for our own personal satisfaction? Not until we have acheived the fame we've dreamt of our whole lives.

The unfortunate part is that very few people actually live the way they want. There are all these rules and guidelines that we are supposed to follow: Go to college, earn a job, make money, raise a family, complain about your job every day until retirement, retire, finally get to do things you never had time for before. Do it in order- you must do it in order. Do you know what I say about that? Fuck order.

I want to live my life so ass-backwards that people have to stand on their heads just to see things from my perspective. I've never been one for conforming to rules; I feel like they were only created to seperate the spineless from the rebels. I've never been one to do what is socially acceptable or expected of me. Life's no fun that way.

So, do I want to be famous? Probably not in the same way as most people. I don't want a fancy house with a view of Hollywood Hills. I don't want a chauffeur or a chef or even a clothing line that kids in sweatshops slave over 20 hours a day.

I want to write a book.
I want to own a bookstore.
And, I want to constantly live my life red-lined.

And if that makes me famous, then hell yeah; sign me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment